THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bendigo Sheep and Wool Show

Its the morning after....oh boy was it worth it!

So I had grand plans of going to Wollongong to visit Sarah for a few days before the new semester of TAFE starts back. A nice few days away to end school break. Then World Youth Day kicked in, some dude called The Pope arrived and chaos ensued! Delightfully the Pope and his entourage would let us get to Wollongong, however, coming home was going to be a no go. My bus wouldn't be allowed into the city at all! After many sinful words, I saw the light and decided we would give it a miss and try again once his band of merry teens where gone.

Enter the "But you promised to take me on a little holiday mum" plea from the kid. Oh the guilt!
I started umming and arring and trying to work out a new plan, as far from Sydney as possible. I was thinking North, maybe a caravan park on a beach, possibly Coffs Harbour.

Tara and Ali piped up "Come to BENDI, go on, pleeeease", hmm well, I kinda do have the money and all.*

So I play guilt games with myself, over and over I tell myself I can NOT spend that much money on myself and my obsession with fibre, oh the frivolous nature of such a thing. The girls of course told me that hell yes I could and to book my ass on a plane. The guilt consumes me, I ring my mother for some sage advice, like me she is practical, she will talk me back to reality.
Oh course she will, err wrong! Mum tells me to go for it, go have fun, do something so unlike you normally would and just enjoy it. So I did! I booked E and I a return flight. My going is kept secret to surprise a few other online friends.

Thursday night we flew to Melbourne, where the lovely Fiesty Wench (Tara) picked us up and took us to her place in Bendigo, where we were entertained by her 2 little ones and kept in cups of tea by her hubby, over our 40hour stay. Good cuppas Mac, thanks!

Friday, Tara gave me a tour of town so I could drool over all the old homes, Victorian, Federation, Miner's huts etc Just gorgeous, I wants! :)

Tara had to go get more ppl from the airport that afternoon, so E and I hit the Golden Dragon Museum. The Golden Dragon is three seperate buildings - The Temple, The Water Gardens and the Museum itself. The Water Garden looks a little sad, worn and old, but could come to life again with very little work. E seemed nervous of The Temple, so we only looked outside, but the Museum was fantastic. Chinese Dragons, clothing, tools and way of life in the goldfields are all displayed there. It was impressive and we both learnt a great deal.

That night Tara snuck me into the bar where a group where having drinks and dinner, Tia, Neek and Sally were all there and surprised to see me. Our plan worked, we did good!
It was great to also meet Randomknits and Knitabulous there.

Saturday morning - up early and off to the BBQ that Tara had organised. Boy did she do a fabulous job, there was a great turn out, prizes to be won and just a great sense of merriment.
Everyone was reading each others name tags and hugs a plenty were had. I finally got to meet Ali, who marries today, all the best Ali and Andy!

After the BBQ we all piled into cars and headed to the show grounds to dive deep into fibre, sheep, alpaca and wares. Oh la la, did I ever spend up! :) E, Ali and I walked around, buying and explaining to alot of vendors what Ravelry is. We met some lovely ppl along the way, such as Ixchel Fibres, Petlyn Fibre Products, Fibreworks and we finally got to put a face to the names of Mandie from EGMTK and Donyale.

After approx 5 hours of walking around the show we called it a day. E and I walked back to Tara and Mark's while they hauled kids, ladies and fibre in 2 carloads back. It was time to pack the bags, find the plane tickets and come home.

Tara being our graceful host, took us back to the airport (2 hours drive each way ppl - 4 trips in 4 days), where I had a small altercation with a security guy, Mr Asshat. Maybe I will write about that later. grrr.

I got home shortly before 10pm, E and I were both exhausted but extremely happy with our lovely 52 hours round trip :)
Massive thank you to Tara, Mac and kids for having us in your home. Tara, your the bomb! All your driving and organising, very much appreciated, cheers!













*here is a savings tip for you, get bogged down in 6 assessments, add another 5 in class tests over a period of 5 weeks, keep telling yourself NO spending, need car rego, then really save for 10 weeks and hey presto, a shite load more money sitting in bank than you realised).

5 comments:

catsmum said...

glad to see that you made it back home in one piece, Mr Asshat notwithstanding.
see ya next July !

Rell said...

I am so glad you went to Bendi; you & E both deserved a holiday.

And I noticed not to much stash!!

Thanks for the saving tip!

Your secret was safe :)

Damo said...

didn't you get to meet the ACS marketing manager too?

Vintage Grrl said...

BOO! You surprised us!!!

So..
BOO You're IT!! (you've been tagged)

knitabulous said...

Next time you come to Wollongong for a trip - give me a shout on Ravelry, I'd love to catch up again after meeting you in Bendigo.