THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 29, 2010

The one about the chicken coop..



Tada! One spunky new chicken coop, devoid of chickens..ok I will work on correcting that this week. This was a Bunnings buy, I should know better, really, but anyways. So I buy the coop in a flat pack, we get it out to the car and it *just* fits. Good thing I borrowed mum's car as there is no way it would have fit into mine. We then get it back home and decide to tackle it after lunch.
I read over the instructions, it's pigeon english as this was made in China. J looks over instructions, we talk about certain points and decide we have it worked out.
However, clearly on the day this shed was being manufactured the Beijing Olympics were on, most of the drill holes did not match up, the front frame (door and panel) was twisted as the layers of metal didnt match up and the job was dodgy. Ok ok, fair enough, the Games were exciting. I decide it's nothing a hammer and drill can't fix. Then we get to the rivets...rivets, are they kidding? We don't have a rivet gun....I get one from mum's work, parts missing.
The next day we ask at several hardware and tool stores if they sell the parts, no, you need to buy a new rivet gun. So we do. We get home, do the 6 rivets and start assembling the whole thing. Now nothing matches up, we start to think we have half the panels upside down...recheck. No its right according to booklet. Hmmm. By now I had broken the drill bit (it wasn't designed for drilling metal), not discouraged I pick up the hammer and a tiny screwdriver. Hello hole punch!! :) Holes punched thru tin to match the ones in the harder metal frame..it all works great and we finally have our 4 walls up. By now we just looked at each other and declared the roof better bloody fit... it did :)
J secured the roof while I prepared dinner. This cool chook coop just took up 10 hours of our lives, I'm sure it shouldn't have taken more than 4. However it is done and we are extremely happy of our achievement, especially with all the modifications we had to do in order to make it all fit together :)
I hope to have three stunning ladies in it within the week, hopefully eggs soon after.


What else is news....
E and I put vegetable seeds out in the garden over the last two weekends, we have peas already poking through along with year round carrots and beans. E got a little ahead of me and can't recall what else he put in there :)
Garden #2 will be build the weekend after Easter, I'm planning on brussel sprouts, container pumpkins, spinach, more carrots, peas etc

A few weekends ago E went to stay with his Aunt and Uncle for a night...they threw him off a cliff!
My mother was only too happy to sign his permission slip.....what a family :)
Where was I? At home making a huge life decision, full of worry I was getting it all wrong....and there my baby was Hang Gliding! Hehehe.

I'll try get the video footage up in my next blog post....you see him run and then, hesitate! lol





No comments: